Kazan, McClain, Satterley & Greenwood, a Professional Law Corporation, has represented thousands of people suffering from the effects of asbestos related illnesses, particularly mesothelioma, since 1974. We are nationally recognized pioneers in asbestos litigation and currently interviewing Associate Attorneys to join our Oakland, California based team.
The Associate Attorney provides a broad range of case-related duties under the supervision of a Partner.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing (including email) with colleagues, court personnel, co-workers, clients and defense lawyers and law firms.
- Knowledge of legal research methods, legal principles and their application.
- Ability to analyze, appraise, and apply legal principles, facts, and precedents to legal problems.
- Ability to effectively take depositions and handle discovery matters.
- Ability to present statements of fact, law and argument clearly and logically.
- Ability to prepare correspondence involving the explanation of legal matters.
- Ability to analyze situations accurately and plan an effective course of action.
- Possession of basic trial skills.
Job Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conducts litigation activities, advises clients as to legal rights and practices other phases of law.
- Gathers evidence in civil cases to formulate, initiate and prosecute legal action.
- Conducts research; interviews clients and witnesses; drafts legal documents; prepares expert witnesses; and handles, where necessary, all other details in preparation for trial or hearings.
- Prepares legal briefs, develops strategy, arguments, and testimony in preparation for presentation of case.
- Takes depositions and handles discovery.
- Represents clients in court.
- Interprets laws, rulings, and regulations.
- Participates as a member of the legal team, to ensure quality performance of the team.
- Employs interpersonal skills to build good working relationships with staff and other attorneys.
- May direct other attorneys and paralegals towards implementation of litigation strategies.
- May participate in trials as first or second chair.
- Other Duties as assigned by the supervising Partner.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Possess excellent research and writing skills.
- Must be detail-oriented.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in an organized and timely manner.
- Ability to work in an organized, efficient manner.
- The ability to think and act independently in a client’s best interest.
- Knowledge and understanding of legal ethics.
- Computer skills, MS office, online research tools such as WESTLAW.
- Must be a self-starter with superior organizational skills and possess the ability to manage multiple assignments independently.
Training & Experience Required:
- Advanced degree in related area that requires law degree.
- Must be an active member in good standing of the California State Bar.
- At least 2-5 years experience in a litigation practice preferred.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to the attention of the Human Resources Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. Priority Consideration for applications received by November 30, 2020.
Only interviewed candidates will be contacted directly. We reserve the right to modify this posting as needed.
Our firm employees enjoy a competitive and generous benefits package, which includes life, health, dental and vision insurance, a generous pension plan, disability insurance, short and long term care coverage, flexible spending accounts and parking/commuter benefits. Salary will be commensurate with candidate’s level of experience.
Equal Employment Opportunities:
Kazan, McClain, Satterley & Greenwood provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kazan, McClain, Satterley & Greenwood complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation.