If you or someone in your family has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you will need to obtain the best medical treatment, pay for living expenses, and provide for your family in the future.
Let us help you understand and protect your legal rights.
Among the most common questions relating to mesothelioma lawsuits are:
- How much compensation can I expect to receive if I come to a settlement?
- Is there an accurate way to estimate what amount I may be entitled to?
Answers to these questions are determined case by case.
What Affects Mesothelioma Lawsuit Amounts?
Kazan Law has extensive experience fighting to obtain the highest possible amount of compensation in any mesothelioma lawsuit settlement negotiation for our clients.
The following conditions typically help determine the amount of a mesothelioma lawsuit settlement agreement:
- Medical diagnosis and related costs: One of the major components impacting a case’s strength comes from your specific diagnosis and health care costs. Accordingly, Kazan Law will fight to have all your health care costs resulting from your diagnosis covered in a settlement.
- Personal distress (physical and mental): Your personal distress also plays a large role in the total settlement amount. Mesothelioma and other asbestos-related complications have a severe effect on quality of life. Understanding this distress – and being able to explain it – can make a big difference in the total settlement amount or potential punitive damages awarded to you. Kazan Law will strive to obtain the highest compensation to help support a better quality of life for you and your family, and often can seek extra damages to punish the bad companies for their bad conduct.
- Lost wages from missed work: If mesothelioma took away your livelihood, you deserve to have that lost income repaid in full. Past missed work typically means many years later when symptoms will impact your ability to keep working. These missed years of work often add up to a very significant amount of money.
- Accumulated bills and expenses: Beyond medical costs, expenses from everyday living can also accumulate if you’re not working due to mesothelioma. Past due bills, accounts in default and other problems easily impact a person suffering with this illness. Getting help with these expenses remains an important component to any mesothelioma lawsuit settlement negotiation. As a victim of companies’ negligence, you should not have to pay for expenses that result from your illness.
State Residency and Mesothelioma Lawsuit Settlement Amounts
The laws regarding a mesothelioma lawsuit are complicated and vary from state to state. Only an attorney who works intensely in asbestos litigation has the kind of experience that will get you the best possible results.
Below is information about how some states have reacted to mesothelioma lawsuits. Unfortunately, not every state is making the process easier for victims to receive their rightful compensation. Some states have added unnecessary hurdles. With over 40 years of experience in asbestos litigation, Kazan Law and its attorneys are knowledgeable about the unique hurdles presented in these cases and are well equipped to represent victims nationwide.
Florida: The state of Florida enacted the Asbestos and Silica Compensation Fairness Act in 2005. This law has required more evidence related to a victim’s asbestos exposure and their health impairment.
New York: Because New York began manufacturing asbestos as far back as the 1880s, this state has had the highest number of asbestos lawsuits in the country. Like many other states, related legislation is aimed to improve worker and workplace safety – and prevent future lawsuits from becoming necessary. Our senior partner, Steven Kazan, has been licensed to practice law in New York since 1967!
Ohio: Current data trends show Ohio as another leading state for asbestos lawsuits. In the early 2000s with lots of claims originating in Ohio, lawmakers reacted by imposing specific restrictions for people filing asbestos lawsuits. Additionally, the state has offered assistance to companies that may face asbestos lawsuits, which could add additional difficulties to the process.
Pennsylvania: Much like New York, Pennsylvania has a long history of asbestos manufacturing. Pennsylvania is one of the top five states in terms of the number of mesothelioma and asbestos-related lawsuits. As more cases made their way into the courtroom or into pre-trial settlement negotiations, the state began to set up a long list of procedures to deal with the volume. Our partner, Joe Satterley, is licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania.
Texas: Following a high volume of asbestos lawsuits in the late 1990s, the state of Texas passed laws, and its courts made rulings to hurt asbestos victims seeking justice.
The value of your case and the amount of compensation you receive can vary greatly depending on the state in which the attorney files. Juries tend to award more and therefore settlements are higher in big cities with booming economies and high costs of living, like the San Francisco Bay Area, where Kazan Law is located.
Often we have several choices where to file. For example, if you were exposed to asbestos while you were in the U.S. Navy stationed in the San Francisco Bay Area, or if the company responsible for your asbestos exposure has its headquarters in the San Francisco Bay Area, we can file the case here, even if you have lived in Iowa ever since. The value of your case would be much higher if it is tried here, with S.F’s higher costs of living, than it would be in your home town.
What to Expect from a Mesothelioma Lawsuit Settlement
While there is no way to determine in advance how much compensation you should expect in a mesothelioma settlement, Kazan Law has a long history of obtaining the absolute fullest compensation that our clients deserve.
Countless factors directly influence the potential award or amount of your settlement agreement. When you speak to a Kazan Law attorney, you’ll be provided a better understanding of your case and the variables that are in your favor.
Our attorneys make every client a priority and show them the compassion and respect they deserve. To begin the legal process of seeking justice and compensation, contact us today.