STEVEN KAZAN, Founding, Senior and Managing Partner
Steven Kazan has played a significant role in asbestos litigation for over four decades. Mr. Kazan filed his first case on behalf of an asbestos victim in 1974 and since then has represented thousands of injured workers and their family members in court cases. He has dedicated the majority of his practice to representing workers suffering from mesothelioma in third party asbestos lawsuits (against manufacturers, contractors, distributors, and premises owners).
Mr. Kazan has also been nominated by the U.S. Trustee and appointed by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court to serve as a member or as counsel to victim members on almost all asbestos bankruptcy reorganizations, including Amatex, Carey Canada, Celotex, H.K. Porter, Babcock & Wilcox, Armstrong World Industries (AWI), W.R. Grace, NARCO, Federal-Mogul, Kaiser Aluminum, Global Technologies (GIT), ACandS, ARTRA, Owens Corning, Fibreboard, Plibrico, T&N, U.S. Gypsum, Combustion Engineering, the Muralo Company, Congoleum, Flintkote Company, Special Electric, ABB Lummus Global, T H Agriculture & Nutrition, Leslie Controls, Garlock, General Motors, the Budd Company, and EECI. In almost all cases where the bankruptcy reorganization is approved, He has been approved by the Federal Court to serve as a member of The Trustees’ Advisory Committee to work with The Trust on behalf of asbestos victims.
In 2017, Mr. Kazan was honored with the Edward I. Pollock Award at the Consumer Attorneys of California’s 2017 Convention. The award was given “in recognition of many years of dedication, outstanding efforts and effectiveness on behalf of the causes and ideals” of consumer attorneys.
For over forty years Mr. Kazan has been a lecturer, speaker, moderator, program chairman and participant at various legal, medical, and insurance seminars and conferences throughout the world focusing on asbestos, toxic torts, and mass torts. He has lobbied and testified in Congress on behalf of asbestos victims and before the Senate and House Judiciary Committees on asbestos litigation and legislation.
Prior to starting the firm in Oakland in 1974, Mr. Kazan was an Assistant to the General Counsel of the Interstate Commerce Commission in Washington, D.C. (1967-1969); an Assistant United States Attorney for the Northern District of California (1969-1971); and an associate at Werchick & Werchick, a plaintiffs’ medical malpractice specialty law office in San Francisco (1971-1974.)
- Harvard University (LL.B., 1966)
- Brandeis University (A.B., 1963)
Bar and Court Admissions
- New York (1967)
- California (1970)
- U.S. Courts of Appeals, Third, Fifth and Ninth Circuits
- California and U.S. District Courts, Northern and Eastern Districts of California
- U.S. Supreme Court
- California Consumers Attorneys of California (Board of Governors 1980-1995, Vice-President 1990, Parliamentarian 1989)
- Alameda-Contra Costa Trial Lawyers Association (President 1980)
- Alameda County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- California State Bar Association
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice
- AFL-CIO Lawyers’ Coordinating Committee
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association of Justice
- Great Britain’s Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL)
- Allen E. Broussard Law School Scholarship Foundation (Chairman of the Board of Directors)
TED W. PELLETIER
PHILIP A. HARLEY
Of CounselFRANCES SCHREIBERG
MICHAEL T. STEWART